Many people often think of one of the most famous city parks, Central Park in New York City, as one the biggest. Nope. Not even in the top 20 largest city parks.
The biggest city park in the 100 largest cities in the US is McDowell Sonoran Preserve in Scottsdale, Arizona, weighing in at 30,500 acres.
Below is a list of the top 18 city parks, along with links to their websites for additional information. (Note: if a park extends beyond the boundary of the city, only the acreage within the city is noted here.)
- McDowell Sonoran Preserve, Scottsdale: 30,500 acres. [friends group: McDowell Sonoran Conservancy]
- South Mountain Preserve, Phoenix: 16,306 acres.
- Sonoran Preserve, Phoenix: 9,487 acres.
- Cullen Park, Houston: 9,270 acres.
- Mission Trails Regional Park, San Diego: 6,932 acres.
- Jefferson Memorial Forest, Louisville: 6,218 acres.
- Lake Stanley Draper, Oklahoma City: 6,190 acres.
- Forest Park, Portland, Or: 5,172 acres. [friends group: Forest Park Forever]
- Lake Houston Wilderness Park, Houston: 4,787 acres.
- Shooting Range Park, Albuquerque: 4,596 acres.
- Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis: 4,284 acres. [friends group: Eagle Creek Park Foundation]
- Griffith Park, Los Angeles: 4,282 acres.
- Loblolly Mitigation Preserve, Jacksonville: 4,201 acres.
- Mission Bay Park, San Diego: 4,108 acres.
- Far North Bicentennial Park, Anchorage: 3,924 acres. [friends group: Anchorage Park Foundation]
- Piestewa Park, Phoenix: 3,766 acres.
- Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge, Fort Worth: 3,630 acres.
- Rio Grande Valley State Park, Albuquerque: 3,186 acres.
City Parks Facts 2017 will be released on April 19, 2017 at www.tpl.org.
City Park Facts is a collaboration between the many city, county, state and nonprofit parks agencies and conservancies that work with us to submit their data and we appreciate your continued help and involvment. The staff of the Center for City Park Excellence at the Trust for Public Land works to present this information in a thorough yet easy-to-use format, and your feedback is important for future editions. You can contact us at email@example.com
Follow our new twitter feed @CityParkFacts
Filed under: City Park Facts, City Parks, partnerships, volunteers | Tagged: acreage, albuquerque, Anchorage, biggest, city, houston, largest, los angeles, louisville, parks, Phoenix, portland, san diego, scottsdale | 1 Comment »