The Trust for Public Land’s Center for City Park Excellence works to make cities more successful through the renewal and creation of parks for their social, ecological, and economic benefits to residents and visitors alike. To achieve this mission, we believe that residents, advocates, park professionals, planners, members of the media, decision-makers, and all those who love parks need solid data that elucidates the realities of urban park and recreation systems. Data is knowledge, and knowledge is power.
Virginia Beach is one the 100 largest US cities and ranked number 3 overall in the 2016 edition of Parkscore. But, more exciting is its individual rankings in five out of the twenty categories that we are tracking:
- #5 (tie) – 4.2 Playgrounds per 10,000 residents
- #2 – 3.1 Beaches per 100,000 residents (14)
- #7 (4-way tie) – 1.1 Nature centers per 100,000 residents (5)
- #8– 0.8 Pickleball courts per 20,000 residents (18)
- #9– 3.5 Tennis courts per 10,000 residents (161)
City Park Facts is a collaboration between the many city, county, state and nonprofit parks agencies and conservancies that work with us to submit their data and we appreciate their continued help and involvement. The staff of the Center for City Park Excellence works to present this information in a thorough yet easy-to-use format, and your feedback is important for future editions. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Download City Park Facts here: www.tpl.org
- Check out Parkscore rankings here: parkscore.tpl.org
- Read City Parks Blog for updates on our work: cityparksblog.org
- We’re tweeting City Park Facts: @CityParkFacts
The Trust for Public Land creates parks and protects land for people, ensuring healthy, livable communities for generations to come. Millions of people live near a Trust for Public Land park, garden, or natural area, and millions more visit these sites every year. To support The Trust for Public Land and share why nature matters to you, visit www.tpl.org.