The American Planning Association is again out with its top ten list of great public spaces for 2009.
According to the APA, characteristics of a Great Public Space include:
- Promotes human contact and social activities.
- Is safe, welcoming, and accommodating for all users.
- Has design and architectural features that are visually interesting.
- Promotes community involvement.
- Reflects the local culture or history.
- Relates well to bordering uses.
- Is well maintained.
- Has a unique or special character.
And here is the APA’s list for this year:
- New Haven Green, New Haven, Conn.
- The Green, Dover, Delaware.
- The Squares of Savannah, Georgia.
- Lincoln Park, Chicago, Illinois.
- East Park, Charlevoix, Michigan.
- Grand Rounds, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Central Square, Keene, New Hampshire.
- Queens Botanical Garden, Flushing, New York.
- Central Market, Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- The Beach Boardwalk, Virginia Beach, Virginia